People throughout the Los Angeles area have had great success with LASIK. This is because it is one of the safest and most effective vision correction procedures worldwide. The vast majority of people that have undergone the procedure say that it is the best decision they have ever made because it has dramatically improved their quality of life. This stems from being able to experience the world in a new way. No longer is a person dependent on contacts or glasses to perform basic functions like reading, driving, playing sports, or simply enjoying the sights.
When people start to entertain the idea of having LASIK surgery, many questions come about. When it comes to the outcome and recovery time, we hear many concerns. Having all the answers can help you make an informed decision as to whether LASIK surgery is right for you. Let’s go over a few tips we have for your LASIK recovery!
Making Recovery Easier
A question we hear often is: how can I make my recovery as easy as possible? Here are some LASIK recovery tips that can address that concern:
- Don’t rub your eyes no matter how much your eyes may itch or feel dry. This can dislodge the corneal flap, requiring a readjustment. Resisting the urge will reduce your risk of complications or infection.
- Stay out of the pool, hot tub, or steam room. Going to these places can help breed bacteria and cause infection, which increases recovery time and puts you at risk for further complication. It is ideal to avoid these places for a week, but two weeks is even better!
- Try not to stare at a computer screen for too long. Doing so can exacerbate the dryness you may experience after the procedure. If you have to sit in front of a computer for long periods at school or work, make sure you use the eye drops prescribed by your doctor or over-the-counter.
- Take a break and take care of yourself. Having LASIK surgery is a good excuse for you to kick back and relax. If you must take a run or play sports, use a sweatband around your head to keep sweat from running into your eyes.
- Use sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun and wind. UV rays damage your eyes even without surgery, so it is good to wear sunglasses regardless. Sunglasses also protect your eyes from debris and extra dryness when it’s windy outside.
- Keep your appointments so your surgeon can see how your recovery is going. If you skip an appointment, an important issue could be missed, and that could lead to unnoticed complications. There will be numerous appointments in the months following the surgery.
LASIK Surgery May Be Right for You!
LASIK surgery has changed many lives, and it could very well change yours. If you haven’t decided if LASIK is right for you, the above LASIK recovery tips can give you some insight into what happens after surgery. Recovery is generally quick, especially when there are no complications. Besides, it is all about the result, which is the ability to see clearly without the help of corrective lenses. When corrective lenses are no longer a part of the equation, you will experience the world in a much different way.
LASIK surgery has improved the lives of millions of people. Isn’t it your turn? Contact Dr. Rex Hamilton at the Santa Monica Eye Medical Group for your LASIK consultation today!